What legal advice can we help with?

Category Archives: Legal News

What were the Divorce Trends in 2017?

The Office of National Statistics last week published the 2017 divorce statistics which showed a decrease of 4.9% with 101,669 divorces of opposite sex couples compared with the 2016 figures. There was, however, a significant increase in divorces of same sex couples in 2017, more than three times the number than in 2016, three-quarters of the same sex couples divorcing in 2017 being female. Overall the number of divorces in 2017 was highest among both men and women in the 45-49 age group.
Continue reading

Divorce Law Reform Consultation

As anticipated, following on from the much awaited decision of Owen v Owen (referred to in a previous article http://absolicitors.com/hub/2018/08/wife-refused-a-divorce-to-end-long-marriage/ ) the Justice Secretary, David Gauke, has announced that he is preparing a consultation on reforming the divorce laws which have not been changed since the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973, which was introduced following the Divorce Reform Act 1969. Attempts to change the divorce laws in 1996 were, for various reasons, unsuccessful and the legislation had to be repealed.
Continue reading

Registered Office: 13 Christchurch Road Bournemouth BH1 3JY. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Aldridge Brownlee Solicitors LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England number OC334502

Website by Kolab Digital