What legal advice can we help with?

What happens when a separated parent wants to relocate with their child?


When a parent wishes to relocate with a child of the family, whether this is to another country or within the UK, the Court approach is the same.

The Court will need to consider the consequences of both allowing or refusing the application on the parents as well as the child.

If you are the parent wishing to relocate you need to set out your motives for relocating, that this is a genuine application to relocate rather than to frustrate the other parent’s contact, what are the plans for accommodation, the child’s education, how the parent is to support the child both practically and emotionally, the proposals for the child to continue to have contact with the other parent. Consideration should also be given as to what a parent will do and how this will affect the parent if permission is refused.

These practical matters will need to be addressed in some detail before making an application to the Court to relocate.

The Court’s decision in such an application hinges ultimately on the welfare of the child although the impact of the decision on each of the parents is also of great importance.

For practical and compassionate advice in relation to residence and contact issues, including Child Arrangement Orders, please contact Resolution member Jane Pilcher.

The firm’s specialist Family and Children lawyers are based at our Lansdowne office (13 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH1 3JY).

Please phone 01202 294411or E-Mail: jane.pilcher@absolicitors.com for an appointment.

Please note this is not legal advice. It is intended to provide information of general interest about current legal issues.

Registered Office: 13 Christchurch Road Bournemouth BH1 3JY. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Aldridge Brownlee Solicitors LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England number OC334502

Website by Kolab Digital