What legal advice can we help with?

New deadlines for changes in company ownership

Businesses have new deadlines to comply with regulations around transparency of ownership from this month, under the so-called PSC regime. The move is happening as part of the implementation of the EU Fourth Money Laundering Directive (4MLD) which must be implemented across the EU by 26 June 2017.

Introduced last year as part of the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015, the regime requires unlisted UK companies and LLPs to identify “People with Significant Control” over them, and to record their details in a statutory register. Until now, any changes to the PSC register could be notified annually using the company’s annual CS01 confirmation statement, but in future there is a new process to notify any change, with 14 days to update the firm’s PSC register and a further 14 days to send the information to Companies House.

Listed companies were exempt from the PSC regime as they already report under Chapter 5 of the FCA’s Disclosure Rules and Transparency Rules (DTR5) but the changes introduced by 4MLD may mean that AIM-listed companies lose their exemption. That is because 4MLD does not expressly allow for companies listed on prescribed markets to be exempt, only for those on regulated markets such as the main market of the London Stock Exchange. But although Companies House has announced that the DTR5 exemptions are changing, it is still not clear what the impact will be on AIM companies.

Any AIM-listed companies need to keep watching to see what is decided. It may be that AIM retains the exemption, for example by being included as a Schedule 1 market, but if not, AIM companies will have to get procedures in place to comply with PSC as well as DTR5.

For all companies within the PSC regime, the changes on reporting mean that companies must be more responsive in future. Previously the updates to Companies House needed to be done just once a year, as part of the standard annual confirmation procedure, but now companies must make sure they’re hitting that 14 day deadline and using the new forms PSC1 to PSC9.

The PSC regime was designed to combat corporate crime, by making it easier to find out who is controlling a company as part of a global initiative to tackle misuse of company structures. The EU’s Fourth Money Laundering Directive requirements requires member states to hold a central register showing current corporate beneficial ownership. The PSC register provides the central register, but this change on notification procedures is required to comply with the requirement that the register be ‘current’.

Web site content note:

This is not legal advice; it is intended to provide information of general interest about current legal issues.

Race For Life 2017

  The Aldridge Brownlee ladies (accompanied by friends and a small companion) were out in force again for the Bournemouth Race for Life which is always a moving event. Sarah Jenking and Jo Bunton came over the line in an amazing 29 minutes. The ladies have raised £572.50 for Cancer Research. It is not too late donate, if you would like to do so, you can still donate on our Just Giving Page.





Unmarried couples need to protect themselves

A landmark victory in the Supreme Court has seen a Northern Ireland woman win a share of her former partner’s pension, with commentators saying it is  likely to add impetus to the drive for greater rights for unmarried couples.  In the meantime, however, cohabitees should ensure that they formalise arrangements, rather than keeping their fingers crossed.   Continue reading

Registered Office: 13 Christchurch Road Bournemouth BH1 3JY. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Aldridge Brownlee Solicitors LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England number OC334502

Website by Kolab Digital